Sunday, August 18, 2013

Overwhelmed?

I keep going back to the excellent reference that Becky Edwards had us read to prepare for the Vanguard Mentor Training day: "Teaching and Learning in the Church" .

Here is an excerpt that stuck out to me today as I reviewed it again:

Elder Steven E. Snow: Many of us when we are called to teach are just overwhelmed with the enormity of the assignment and feel inadequate and unprepared. But you know, if we will do our best to study the resources we are given and get into the scriptures and then just trust in the Spirit, we will be helped through the process. I think sometimes we just are overwhelmed because we don’t know enough. (Mary: "Amen!")

Elder Holland: Absolutely. We all feel that way; every teacher who has ever taught has felt that way. I think it’s fair to say that all of us here represent the collective effort of the Church to put good material in people’s hands. We really do have good curricular materials. We have good lesson manuals. They don’t teach themselves, but there is a great reassurance there that we are not in this alone, and we don’t have to reinvent the wheel. We have wonderful resources. That helps us not feel quite so overwhelmed.
One of the resources is the greatness of our youth!  I am so excited, after all this preparation, to actually get into doing with the youth...that's the best!  I am reminded of a nightmare I had before my second year of doing this, with many new youth coming in.  I sat in the front of a room full of kids that, not only did I now know most of their names, but those I thought I knew all of a sudden became youth that I didn't know!  Whew.  Fortunately, with a two week old baby on my hip, it was wonderful.   And it was not just because of me:  it was because my resources (the Spirit, inspiration, the resources, the youth, the fellow adults) were so awesome!  When we are using the Spirit, the scriptures, classics, and these youth, the blend is MAGIC.

No comments:

Post a Comment