Tuesday, February 9, 2016

More thoughts on Service-Oriented Leadership

Just to clarify...

Every group can do their own order of the months. I have tried different orders but have tended to drift back to the original one as the most logical sequence in progressive understanding for the youth to these deep concepts.

So as I go forward with ideas for monthly themes, I will just stick to the original order and put in ideas and videos to deepen understanding of them that you can use either specifically or as a spring board for other ideas.

Our family is focusing on a particular principle of service-oriented leadership:

A service-oriented leader is responsible and kind and encourages those they teach to be responsible and kind.

We took a funny look at responsibility:
I shared how if parents had an emotion board for their kids, they would want them all to be on "happiness."  Any good leader wants what is best for those he is over, to help them be happy ultimately.  Aristotle in Book 1 of Nichomachean Ethics states that happiness is the underlying goal for every action.

Most parents recognize that happiness comes from being kind and responsible and most rules stem from that recognition, from make your room to be nice to your siblings.  Laws in society could be looked at the same way (possible topic for "Society").  However, first you need leaders that are responsible and kind themselves.

First we looked at what it means to be responsible using the following video:

Then we looked at an example of not only an individual being responsible, but what happens when they lead the way. 


Then we looked at kindness:
And we saw how it comes back to bless us and can change the world:
If you have any insights or ideas, feel free to comment below!

We also played games, trying to show responsibility and kindness and watched "Follow Me, Boys" about a devoted scout leader and how he changes the lives of so many through his service-oriented mentality.  

2 comments:

  1. My daughter made a journal jar at activity days, and one day she wanted to just use it for a game with me, pulling out questions and each of us answering them. One we answered was, what does a typical day of yours look like, and how do you feel about it? I talked about lots of things in my mommy day, while talking about it realized, all those sometimes annoying things really do make me happy. It was a fun personal ah-ha.

    Along with that, I airways look forward to the December and summer break from classes, but this December I realized that I wasn't getting anything done I thought I would, and was SO GLAD to get back on track. The responsibly of having to prepare for class and be places on certain days makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! Great ideas and insight as always, my friend. So glad to know you!

      Delete