Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Keeping Curiosity Alive!

Image result for image of curious child
I finished reading one of Piaget's book on the development of the child. I find it interesting that the longer ago that I read a book, the more distinct the lessons I learned seem to become. It is like the excess kind of washes away from the core messages.

This book on childhood beautifully captured the fruits of keeping the curiosity alive in children.  One truth I was reminded of in this book is that if a child is curious, they learn better. If our youth are curious they learn better.  In fact, I would submit the flip of that statement as fact: if a youth is not curious, they will not learn well...if at all.  We talk about inspiring, but sometimes that feels different, more something the teacher feels they have control over.  Maybe we should also talk about creating an environment where curiosity can flourish?  Curiosity + the Spirit = Awesomeness.

What are we doing in our classroom settings to keep the curiosity alive?

One curious thing about curiosity is that it has to come from the individual. It is not something that a mentor can give.  We can only awaken it or not squelch it.
Image result for image of curious child

Please comment below on ways that you have found both awaken curiosity and squelch it and give examples where appropriate.  It is important to look at both how and how not to to round our a complete picture of how we can improve.  Let us learn from each other!

3 comments:

  1. I love learning environments when everyone feels like they can share their thoughts, be it Vanguard, church, where ever. We are more open to new ideas and make connections better.

    I think the discussion leader has a lot to do with that, helping the class feel like their comments are beneficial and important. I was in an adult Sunday School class once where I brought up something that I thought added to the discussion, and the teacher basically threw it in the garbage. I never commented in her class again, because that hurts! I shouldn't have reacted that way, but no one likes to feel dumb. ESPECIALLY not our youth. I think their lack of comments can go back to that worry, so we especially need to help them feel like they make a valuable contribution to class. If they don't feel that, why even be curious and prepare?

    Mary, I always remember you as a great example of that. Looking like you're really thinking through what they said and making comments like, "That's so cool," "I didn't think about it that way," and thanking them for their comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I think there is nothing so destructive to a willingness to participate as criticism. Going along with your thoughts, I think that an important part of keeping curiosity alive is accepting the basic genius of everyone and their potential to synergize with us.

      This reminds me of the creative "brainstorming" process. I once took a writing class "Writing with your shoes off" and the instructor told us that we need to not shut down ideas (when trying to generate thoughts). Often, on the other side of seemingly unconnected or ridiculous thoughts are thoughts that really can make a difference!

      It is like our brains follow pathways of ideas that don't always make sense--in a "Wonderland" kind of way--but eventually generate spin-off or tangent ideas that have merit. If we deliberately squash an idea, it is like shutting down a pathway.

      Of course all the ideas don't end up being used, but being open to brainstorm or generate ideas in this way leads to some pretty incredible connections.

      If the class or student knows that ideas generate other ideas (even if the ideas on the "pathway" seems frivolous), I believe it will create in them in a wonder and curiosity in where their thoughts will lead them.

      Anyone else?

      Delete